Now that spring is here, traveling is going to become more frequent as we approach warmer weather. Although most folks only consider their nightly rate when booking a hotel room, you should consider your safety a top priority. If your hotel was attacked, would you know how to survive? Below are some basic tips and tricks that you can use to defend yourself.
- Don’t go higher than the fifth floor
- Avoid staying near the lobby
- Never book a room close to public areas such as bathrooms and restaurants
- Keep your phone fully charged as much as possible
- When you exit your room, don’t display the do not disturb sign
- Always leave a light on inside your room
- Be sure to use the hotel safe if your room comes with one
- Keep your hotel room number a secret
- Ensure doors and windows lock properly
Following this advise will help keep you safe. Rooms on floors 2 - 5 are low enough to jump to safety out of a balcony or window and are within reach of most fire ladders. Do a sweep of the room when you arrive, in case it is occupied by an intruder. With hotel attacks in Paris, Brussels, and Las Vegas, it’s important to keep these safety tips in mind. Doing so can greately improve your chances avoiding potential threats.